Parental Responsibility

Parental Responsibility

Parental responsibility of a child is where a parent has all the rights, duties, powers, responsibilities and authority of a child in relation to that child and their property. If a couple are married at the time their child is born, they will have automatic parental responsibility of that child.

Unfortunately, unmarried fathers do not have automatic parental responsibility of their child if they are not named on the child’s birth certificate. It is however straight forward to acquire parental responsibility by either being named on the birth certificate or entering into a parental responsibility agreement with the mother.

If an agreement cannot be made, however, between the unmarried father and mother, a Parental Responsibility Order may be the next step.

The court will then grant the biological father with parental responsibility which will allow him to be involved in making welfare decisions in relation to the child’s education, health, religion, where they should live etc.

It is also possible for a step father of the child to obtain parental responsibility either through agreement of both parents or by a Parental Responsibility Order.

Our specialist solicitors are able to provide advice and support you in your application.

Why use a solicitor?

  • A solicitor will be able to negotiate and mediate where required.
  • A solicitor can advise you on the legal aspects of a Parental Responsibility Order.
  • They can represent you in court.

Why Watson Woodhouse?

  • Our specialist solicitors have a vast amount of experience in dealing with parental responsibility matters.
  • We are understanding solicitors who will listen and implement your requirements.
  • We will keep you updated on the progress of your case.

We are here to help

Please get in contact with our specialist child law solicitors to discuss your situation further.

Call us for a free and confidential consultation with a specialist solicitor today on 01642 247656 or on our 24/7 Emergency Helpline 01642 917175

Contact Us

Other Sections

Contacting Us

01642 247656 24 Hour Arrest Helpline 01642 917175

Head Office

102-108 Borough Road
United Kingdom

Company Registration Number: 10868114 VAT Number: 499 468 172

Here are our team members ready to help you

Angela Strike Legal Clerk
Francesca Hardwick Solicitor

Why use a solicitor?

Need our help with Parental Responsibility? Don't worry fill in
the form and we will be in touch

Our Head Quarters will be able to correctly direct you to the relevant solicitor


Our Head Office, York House

102-108 Borough Road
United Kingdom 24 Hour Arrest Helpline 01642 917175

Latest News