Criminal Injury

Criminal Injury

What is a criminal injury?

A criminal injury is seen as any type of personal injury, whether physical or psychological, that was a direct result of a crime. If you have been subjected to a violent crime within the last 2 years, you may be able to claim for compensation to the Government’s Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

In order to claim, the injury must have been as a result of a crime. It is not necessary for the person who injured you to be convicted of a crime. Or even for them to have been identified. As long as you have done everything possible to assist the police in bringing them to justice you can make a claim. The crime must have occurred within the last 2 years, although in certain circumstances this can be extended. You also cannot have caused or contributed to the crime itself.

You may be able to make a claim if:

  • You were the victim of the crime
  • A family member died as a result of the crime
  • You witnessed the crime happen to a loved one
  • You had to pay for the funeral costs of the deceased

You can make a claim for:

  • Your injury
  • Loss of earnings
  • Funeral costs
  • Children payments
  • Bereavement

Our specialist solicitors appreciate how being a victim of criminal injury may have a significant effect on your everyday life. Whether you have suffered physical and or psychological effects, which has affected your mental health and/ or ability to work. Compensation can significantly help you in this situation and can ensure you receive the best possible treatment in order to recover from your ordeal.

We can provide you with quality advice and assist you in your application to the CICA to compensate you for your criminal injury.

If you are not satisfied with the payment amount you have already received, we can also assist in making an appeal to the tribunal in order to recover a more acceptable amount.

If you have suffered a criminal injury, contact our personal injury department who can advise you on your options.

Why use a solicitor?

  • It is a complex process to make a claim to CICA for compensation.
  • Certain legal evidence will be required.
  • If necessary, a solicitor can represent you in court.

Why Watson Woodhouse?

  • Our specialist solicitors are experts in making a claim to CICA for a criminal injury.
  • We will keep you updated on the progress of your case.
  • We will seek to ensure the best possible outcome is achieved.

We are here to help

Call us for a free and confidential consultation with a specialist solicitor today on 01642 247656 or on our 24/7 Emergency Helpline 01642 917175

Here are our team members ready to help you

Alistair Smith Solicitor
Claire Dunn Solicitor
Joanne Lewis Legal Clerk
Sarah Ann Magson Solicitor / Director and Head of Civil Litigation

Why use a solicitor?

Need our help? Don't worry fill in
the form and we will be in touch

Our Head Quarters will be able to correctly direct you to the relevant solicitor


Our Head Office, York House

102-108 Borough Road
United Kingdom 24 Hour Arrest Helpline 01642 917175