Judicial Separation

Judicial Separation

A judicial separation is an option if you are certain that your marriage has come to an end but for whatever reason you do not want a divorce. If a couple have a judicial separation it will mean that they are separated but their marriage is not legally terminated.

Similar to divorce, a judicial separation has the same financial arrangements involved (with some minor exceptions) and removes the couples obligation to live together.

One of the most common reasons for obtaining a judicial separation rather than a divorce is due to religious reasons. Many religions do not accept divorce. This method does not have the same stigma attached to it as divorce does and can therefore be the preferred option.

Differences between divorce and judicial separation:

  1. A decree for judicial separation can be applied for during the first year of marriage, whereas you have to wait until a year has passed before you can apply for a divorce
  2. You do not have to prove that the marriage has irretrievably broken down for a judicial separation, unlike divorce
  3. A judicial separation means that you are still legally married and therefore you are unable to remarry

However, if you decide to have a judicial separation, you will lose out on some of your legal rights that exist when you are married. A divorce is usually preferred as it allows for the parties to move on.

Why use a solicitor?

  • Certain legal requirements are involved when acquiring a judicial separation.
  • A solicitor will ensure the process is completed correctly and to the required standard.
  • A solicitor will be able to represent you in court if need be.

Why Watson Woodhouse?

  • Our specialist solicitors have a vast amount of experience in dealing with judicial separations.
  • We will support you throughout this difficult time of your life.
  • We will treat your case with sensitivity, compassion and respect.
  • We will keep you updated on the progress of your judicial separation.

We are here to help

If you would like to pursue a judicial separation, please get in contact with our specialist family department who can advise you on the next steps.

Call us for a free and confidential consultation with a specialist solicitor today on 01642 247656 or on our 24/7 Emergency Helpline 01642 917175

Other Sections

Contacting Us

01642 247656 info@watsonwoodhouse.co.uk 24 Hour Arrest Helpline 01642 917175

Head Office

102-108 Borough Road
United Kingdom

Company Registration Number: 10868114 VAT Number: 499 468 172

Here are our team members ready to help you

Francesca Hardwick Solicitor and Police Station Representative
Lydia-Rose Garbutt Solicitor and Police Station Representative
Natalie Blake Chartered Legal Executive and Head of Domestic Abuse
Rosemary Alderson Solicitor and Head of the Family Department

Why use a solicitor?

Need our help? Don't worry fill in
the form and we will be in touch

Our Head Quarters will be able to correctly direct you to the relevant solicitor


Our Head Office, York House

102-108 Borough Road
United Kingdom

info@watsonwoodhouse.co.uk 24 Hour Arrest Helpline 01642 917175

Latest News