If you decide that marriage or a civil partnership is not the path for you and your partner, you may opt instead to cohabit. This is where you choose to live together as a couple but you do not enter into a legally binding agreement.

Unfortunately, cohabitation offers very little legal protection for your rights. If you separate from your partner, you will not be able to make any financial claims against them such as their pension or income. However, you may have a valid claim in relation to the family home even if it is not held in joint names, as long as you can prove that you have a beneficial interest in the property. If this affects you, please contact our specialist family department to discuss your situation.

In order to avoid these difficulties, we recommend that you enter into a Cohabitation Agreement. It can include terms that relate to how the relationship is to work, the contributions to property both now and in the future and what is to happen if you decide to separate. The agreement will be tailored to your needs and wishes to ensure that both you and your partner know what is expected should your relationship come to an end and will protect your assets.

Our specialist solicitors are able to assist in the drafting of a cohabitation agreement that will reflect your wishes. It will enable you to continue to live together with additional legal protection.

We are able to advise you and give you peace of mind in a situation where the law does not offer protection.

Why use a solicitor?

  • A solicitor will ensure your agreement is legally binding.
  • They will be able to negotiate and mediate where required.
  • A solicitor can advise you on the legal aspects of a cohabitation agreement.

Why Watson Woodhouse?

  • Our specialist solicitors have a vast amount of experience in drafting cohabitation agreements that reflect your wishes.
  • We will always have your best interests as our main priority.
  • We are understanding solicitors who will listen and implement your requirements.

We are here to help

If you are unsure about your rights in relation to the family home or wish to have a cohabitation agreement, please contact our specialist family team to discuss your options.

Call us for a free and confidential consultation with a specialist solicitor today on 01642 247656 or on our 24/7 Emergency Helpline 01642 917175

Other Sections

Contacting Us

01642 247656 24 Hour Arrest Helpline 01642 917175

Head Office

102-108 Borough Road
United Kingdom

Company Registration Number: 10868114 VAT Number: 499 468 172

Here are our team members ready to help you

Francesca Hardwick Solicitor and Police Station Representative
Lydia-Rose Garbutt Trainee Solicitor and Police Station Representative
Natalie Blake Legal executive and Head of Domestic Abuse
Rosemary Alderson Solicitor and Head of the Family Department

Why use a solicitor?

Need our help? Don't worry fill in
the form and we will be in touch

Our Head Quarters will be able to correctly direct you to the relevant solicitor


Our Head Office, York House

102-108 Borough Road
United Kingdom 24 Hour Arrest Helpline 01642 917175