New Vacancy – Civil Liberties/ Litigation Department
New Vacancy – Civil Liberties/ Litigation
Role: Fee Earner/ Senior Clerk
Department: Civil Litigation Department
Closing date for applications: Friday 18th October
Watson Woodhouse Ltd is expanding their Civil Litigation team, and seek an innovative and forward thinking Fee Earner / Senior Clerk to work from their Middlesbrough office.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join an excellent team, who have been involved in many high profile and ground breaking cases, and continue to successfully fight for the rights of some of the most vulnerable members of our society.
The team works across multi-discipline areas including Civil Actions Against Public Authority; Inquests; CICA; Abuse Claims; Human Rights; Judicial Review; Defamation / Misuse Private Information and Personal Injury work. We offer Legal Aid in the areas of CAPA; Inquest and Housing Litigation.
- The successful candidate will initially offer case progression support to two of the senior fee earners, with view to developing the knowledge and skills to manage an independent caseload, predominately in the areas of CAPA; inquests/inquiries; Human Rights; Abuse and Psychological injury claims.
- To assist in expansion and the marketing of the Civil Litigation Department.
- To promote the department and build work streams by utilising and developing external links.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- To assist Senior Fee Earners with complex cases;
- To undertake a range of activity including legal research, and assisting with case preparation, due to the varied nature of the work;
- To attend at Client meetings; hearings and Court to liaise with Clients, Counsel, Defendants, Coroner; IOPC and other third parties
- To take witness evidence, and to draft instructions and correspondence to clients, court and defendants;
- To undertake administrative work such as document file management and billing assistance;
- To deal with all forms of funding, including Legal Aid and CFA’s and to submit applications to the LAA online via CCMS.
We are looking for an individual with the following:-
- Legal qualification preferable but not essential;
- Equivalent to 3 years PQE desired, but all candidates with relevant experience considered, including those who are unqualified but have a passion and commitment to fight for justice;
- Experience in dealing sensitively with both clients and experts, providing solutions and successfully managing difficult situations and conversations;
- Experience in Civil Actions Against Public Authority, Inquests, CICA claims, Abuse Claims, Human Rights, Judicial Review, General Civil Disputes, Defamation / Misuse Private Information and in Legal Aid Finding.
- Ability to work with and support vulnerable clients;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, demonstrated by an ability to communicate accurately, clearly and concisely;
- Excellent time management skills, with an ability to prioritise and organise a complex workload and meet tight deadlines;
- Excellent ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability to multi-task, work well under pressure and use own initiative.
Competitive salary, excellent prospects and training provided.
Email covering letter, CV and salary expectations to Vicky Thomas HR Manager, at email@example.com
Should you have any questions about the role/department please feel free to contact our recruitment team at the email above and they will respond directly.